We’ve all been there — you open your pantry and it’s overflowing with ingredients that are on the brink of expiration. It’s time to put those neglected items to good use and create some delicious meals, but you just don’t know where to start. In this article, we’ll explore a variety of easy and satisfying recipes that will help you clear out your pantry and reduce food waste.
- Baking powder
- Any add-ins of your choice such as chocolate chips or fruit.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add milk and any extras.
- Cook as pancakes for a delicious breakfast or brunch.
- Canned chickpeas
- Canned tomatoes
- Sauté chopped onion.
- Add canned tomatoes, spices and chickpeas.
- Simmer until flavors meld and serve over rice.
- Cooked rice (leftover or freshly cooked)
- Canned or frozen vegetables (peas, corn or carrots)
- Canned protein (chicken, shrimp or tofu)
- Soy sauce
- Cooking oil
- Scrambled eggs
- Optional: sesame seeds or chopped green onions for garnish
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add a bit of cooking oil. If you have garlic, sauté it briefly.
- Add the canned or frozen vegetables and canned protein to the skillet and stir-fry for a few minutes until heated through.
- Then, add the cooked rice to the skillet and drizzle with soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Push the rice to one side of the skillet, and on the other side, scramble the eggs.
- Once the eggs are cooked, mix them with the rice.
- Continue to stir-fry everything together until the rice is heated and slightly crispy.
- Any type of noodles (spaghetti, ramen or whatever you have)
- Canned or frozen vegetables (bell peppers, broccoli or peas)
- Soy sauce
- Cooking oil
- Garlic or ginger
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Optional garnish: chopped green onions or peanuts
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat a bit of cooking oil over medium-high heat. If you have minced garlic or ginger, sauté it briefly.
- Add the canned or frozen vegetables and canned protein and stir-fry for a few minutes until heated through.
- Then, add the cooked noodles to the skillet and drizzle with soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- If you want some heat, add crushed red pepper flakes.
- Continue to stir-fry everything together until well combined.
- Garnish with chopped green onions or peanuts, if available.
Clearing out your pantry doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With these easy and versatile meal ideas, you can reduce food waste and create delicious dishes from items you already have. Plus, it’s an excellent way to save money and get creative in the kitchen. Save this article for the end of the semester when you need to use up all of your food before winter break!