BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 21, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian by September 8th!

Bears fall to Bruins; next up is Big Splash against Stanford

ANITA LIU | STAFF

APRIL 20, 2023

The two-game win streak for No. 5 Cal women’s water polo ended Saturday when it was defeated 11-6 by the No. 3 UCLA Bruins. The Bears were looking to extend their winning streak to three games ahead of their regular season finale against Stanford.

Junior Maryn Dempsey led the Bears in scoring with three goals, which tied her season best. Dempsey scored a goal at the 4:28 mark of the first period, which brought Cal back into the game after going down 2-0 in the opening minutes.

Both junior Ruby Swadling and senior Cecily Turner contributed to Cal’s scoring with a goal each. Isabel Williams, a senior goalie, amassed seven saves and one steal in the game’s final tally.

In the second quarter, Cal scored three times, trimming the advantage held by the Bruins to just one each time. Early on in the third quarter, Swadling scored a goal that narrowed UCLA’s advantage to 3-2 with the help of an assist from sophomore Jessie Rose.

The Bears went into halftime down by a score of 5-4 thanks to a goal scored by Dempsey, which was assisted by Maddie DeMattia and Rozanne Voorvelt. At the beginning of the second half, the Bruins increased their advantage to three goals. In response, Swadling and Turner scored two goals in a row to cut the score 7-6.

However, UCLA responded with four unanswered goals to win the game, and Cal was unable to score in the final period.

After their loss in this heavyweight clash, the Bears will face No. 2 Stanford on Senior Day Saturday at Spieker Aquatics Complex for their last regular season game before the start of the MPSF championships. The highly anticipated women’s water polo game between Cal and Stanford is just around the corner, and Cal will have a chance to redeem itself against one of the nation’s top teams.

Both teams are among the best in the nation, with Stanford ranked at No. 2 and Cal ranked at No. 5. The Bears have had an impressive season so far, with a record of 17-7 overall and 3-2 in the MPSF. Their recent loss to UCLA snapped the win streak they created against San Jose State and Pacific, and they will be looking to bounce back against their cross-Bay rivals.

On the other hand, the Stanford Cardinal have been a consistently dominant force in women’s water polo this season. They currently have a record of 17-1 overall, 4-1 in the MPSF, with their only loss this season against the USC Trojans. The Cardinal had a remarkable 16-game winning streak, and they will be aiming to continue their impressive run of form against the Bears.

The rivalry between these two teams is intense, and both sides will be determined to come out on top. In their last meeting, which took place in February of this year, Stanford emerged as the victors with a 11-6 win.

This game promises to be a thriller, with both teams featuring some of the top players in the nation. Cal will be led by Swadling, who has been a standout performer this season with 39 goals, while Stanford will rely on their star player, Aria Fischer, who has scored 53 goals so far this season.

With so much on the line, Saturday’s encounter promises to be one that neither team will forget.

Contact Devon Byrne at 

APRIL 20, 2023