Berkeley Fire Department, or BFD, received several reports of a house fire on the 1600 block of Kains Avenue in Berkeley late Tuesday night.
The fire was reported at 10:02 p.m. by multiple people who called 911. They also reported that an elderly man lived inside the house. A second alarm was initiated shortly after.
When BFD arrived, they found the home in flames with heavy smoke coming from the second floor. The crew was able to confirm that the elderly man was not inside of the house at the time of the fire.
The possible cause of the fire was a lithium battery discovered in the fire’s area of origin.
According to BFD spokesperson Keith May, the crew was able to extinguish the fire quickly and no civilians or firefighters were injured. BFD estimated the damage to the home to be $150,000, but is working to confirm the number with the homeowner.
Check back for updates.