BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

“You gotta get up”: Beavers break through Bears, 38-10

CAROLINE LOBEL | SENIOR STAFF

NOVEMBER 12, 2022

There are many plausible takes on the Bears’ 2022 season, but one thing may be certain — it can be notched as another lost campaign. After starting the season 3-1 and showing fans that the future could be bright, the Bears’ postseason hopes have been crushed after a brutal 38-10 loss to the Oregon State Beavers.

This has become Cal’s sixth straight loss, having lost every road game this season. The Bears are left at a less-than-satisfactory 3-7 on the season. The Bears are finishing out the year with a third straight losing season, taking sixth year head coach Justin Wilcox’s lost seasons to four.

The Bears got off to an incredibly slow start, being blanked in the first quarter 14 points to none. This was due to early mistakes made by the Cal offense, including an interception from quarterback Jack Plummer. Of the three possessions the Bears had in the first quarter, they were only able to produce five total yards of offense.

“As a team we haven’t coached well enough, we haven’t played well enough and it’s totally unacceptable,” said Wilcox.

The second quarter did not prove to be any better for the Bears. After a second three and out was produced by the offense, the Oregon State special teams unit knew how to respond. Jamieson Sheahan’s 48-yard punt was returned by Anthony Gould for a third Beaver score in the first half — six years to the day since Cal last allowed a punt return touchdown.

Just when the evening was looking bleak for the Bears, Jeremiah Earby was able to take a Beaver fumble back the other way for a defensive score. However, this was one of the only mistakes made by the Beaver offense as it kept command of the game throughout all four quarters.

The Beavers would score on four of their 10 drives as they cruised their way to victory. Ben Gulbranson led the way with 137 passing yards, two passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown, while being supported by his cast of running backs.

There was firmly no answer for the Oregon State defense as it continuously brought the hammer down on the Cal offense. As the Bears started their ninth different offensive lineman, Plummer had little to no time to make a decision, let alone complete a pass. Six punts, a failed fourth down conversion and the aforementioned interception all led to Cal’s ultimate demise in this game.

The only scoring drive that the offense would produce was a 36-yard field goal from freshman Michael Luckhurst. When the dust settled Cal was only able to produce 160 total offensive yards to Oregon State’s more than double 362 yards.

“With the way we’ve played, we haven’t earned to play in a bowl game,” said Plummer.

The Bears will not attain bowl eligibility this season, but their time on the gridiron isn’t over yet. Cal will host Stanford next weekend in the 125th Big Game — a team it has not beat on its home turf since 2008. This loss, along with the last five is sure to leave a sour taste in the mouth of fans everywhere.

Contact Emmanuel Macedo at 

NOVEMBER 12, 2022