As a Los Angeles resident, I’ve developed a small obsession with following where top celebrities hang out, eat and even grocery shop. One of the biggest places celebrities like to shop is Erewhon, famous for its aesthetic produce wall and outdoor seating. For a college student on a tight budget, Erewhon is not the best place to buy everyday foods, considering its green smoothies can run up to $15. But, their kale white bean avocado salad makes it all worth it. Although you can splurge on this refreshing salad when in LA, you can also just as easily recreate it in your own kitchen, even if you are 350 miles away.
- 6 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped into small pieces
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large avocado, cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Prep your kale, and place it into a large salad bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the kale, and massage it with your hands. Make sure to thoroughly coat each piece.
- Add in the prepped white beans and avocado, sunflower seeds, pepitas, hemp seeds, salt and black pepper to the dressed kale.
- Give one more final toss, and enjoy!
Beat the pricey grocery store salad experience, and create your very own Erewhon masterpiece in the comfort of your own kitchen.