If you’ve been scrolling through TikTok recently, you’ve probably seen mounds of videos recreating the viral salmon rice bowl on your For You Page. This original recipe by Emily Mariko takes simple ingredients and combines them into a tasty dish that perfectly pairs with a packet of roasted seaweed sheets. If you have some Japanese mayo, sriracha and soy sauce on hand, run — don’t walk — to the kitchen to make this now.
For the salmon (you can use canned salmon, but we definitely recommend using the cooked version):
- Salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the rice:
- Cooked white rice (brown or other varieties work too!)
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of Sriracha (or adjust the quantity to your liking)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Kimchi (optional)
Skip steps 1 and 2 if using canned salmon.
- Pat the salmon fillets dry with a paper towel then season each fillet with salt and pepper. Heat up a nonstick frying pan until piping hot and pour about 1 tbsp of olive oil into the pan.
- Cook the salmon for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Refrain from moving the salmon around while searing.
- Using a fork, crumble the salmon and mix it in with the rice. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the soy sauce, kewpie mayonnaise and Sriracha into the hot salmon-rice mixture.
- Serve with a pack of roasted seaweed or avocado and kimchi (both optional).
If you’re feeling extra, you can also add in a couple of spoons of cream cheese to the salmon-rice mixture for a cheesy twist. Devour this easy dish after a long midterm-filled week or have it as a pick-me-up to get you going through this semester!