BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 17, 2023

Cal men’s tennis director, 3-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year Peter Wright retires

NIRVANA ELLABOUDY | FILE

|

Staff

AUGUST 25, 2021

After 29 long and noteworthy years as director of Cal men’s tennis, Peter Wright is finally hanging up his racket. Wright has more NCAA tournament appearances and wins than any other coach in the history of the blue and gold men’s tennis program.

Wright will be dearly missed by Cal tennis fans and as a three-time Pac-12 coach of the year, he leaves big shoes to fill. Head coach of the Cal women’s tennis team Amanda Augustus will act as interim coach while campus conducts a nationwide search for a replacement.

Augustus is more than qualified to fill in for Wright before a full-time replacement is found, as she is entering her 14th year of coaching the women’s team.

Beyond Wright’s accolades as a coach — he used his experience to help the greater community — revealing his true strength of character. In 2003, he helped create a tennis and academic tutoring group for underserved youth called BearTrax. He also served on the board of directors for Youth Tennis Advantage.

The men’s tennis program likely has a bright future ahead of them, in no small part thanks to Wright’s work over the past three decades.

Mia Horne is the sports editor. Contact her at [email protected].

AUGUST 25, 2021