The past year has been nothing short of a challenge, but student newsrooms have risen to the occasion, as seen by the fantastic entries recognized in the 2020-21 Best of California Student Media awards.
The Daily Californian scored wins in multiple categories, with works from both before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. The California College Media Association recognizes the best of California journalism with awards in a variety of categories. The Daily Cal qualifies for the category of student papers that serve campus communities of more than 10,000 people.
See the full list of award-winning pieces below.
- 2nd place in best photo illustration: “30 Years of ADA” by Emily Bi
- 3rd place in best editorial cartoon: “UC must undergo essential reform in wake of admissions scandal” by Genesis Cruz
- 3rd place in best infographic: “The impact of COVID-19 on incarcerated populations” by Jazmine Solorzano
- 3rd place in best feature photo: “From teddy bear to superhero: Inside Yuta Kikuchi’s global transformation” by Josh Kahen
- 1st place best breaking news story: “‘Burden of the history’: UC Berkeley removes Boalt Hall’s name” by Sakura Cannestra
- 2nd place in best non-breaking news story: “UC Berkeley research labs face barriers to achieving greater sustainability” by Emma Rooholfada
- 2nd place in best column: Thinking Outside the Binary: “‘Dirty’ lesbian,” “The period talk” and “On compulsory heterosexuality” by Elaina Guerrero
- 3rd place in best arts and entertainment story: “Curtis Waters talks being in a world of his own design” by Francesca Hodges
- 1st place in best website: Daily Cal website by Sarah Harris, Amanda Bradford and Alexander Hong
- 1st place in best multimedia package: “Where do UC Berkeley students go? A look at the lives of UC Berkeley students after graduation” by Alex Zhao
- 2nd place in best interactive graphic: “Diversity at UC Berkeley: Admissions, enrollment, and retention” by Alex Zhao
- 2nd place best podcast: “One True Podcast S01 E01: Wattpod” by Skylar De Paul, Grace Orriss and Areyon Jolivette
- 3rd place in best news video: “Community members attend second People’s Park open house” by Hiro Fu