BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 22, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian by September 8th!

Pandemic superheroes: Video call services, their superpowers

AARTHI MUTHUKUMAR | STAFF

FEBRUARY 25, 2021

These days, people are spending a lot of time on video calls. Video calls allow people to connect safely and (somewhat) effectively. In a way, these programs are a bit like superheroes that have come to save the day. Of course, these programs aren’t actual people with superpowers saving the world. But here are what these programs would be like if they were superheroes.

Zoom

This one’s superpower is right in the name. It has the power of super speed, using it to run to-and-fro, even if this leads to it being overburdened. There is one downside to Zoom’s power, however. It is prone to crashing without much warning. Usually, though, it can be rather reliable. That — along with some dumb luck — has made it the most popular of all the superheroes. There was that one time it was criticized for its lack of security for the people it saved, but these days it promises that those security issues are in the past.

Skype

The hero known as Skype has largely been forgotten. Even with this boom in business for video chat, it’s the most original superheroes that have been left in the dust. It still is part of the squad though. For anyone who goes out of their way to check it out, they’ll notice that the cloud logo shows off Skype’s superpower. Skype can fly, and it can even carry a few people with it.

Google Hangouts

This hero was created by a massive tech company and wears its branding proudly. It can do everything the other heroes can do, so it can sometimes come off as a copycat. But this hero doesn’t care about its reputation. As long as it has its corporate sponsor, then it has nothing to worry about.

Webex

This hero is a serious competitor to Zoom. Both go after the same people to save and try to expand into each other’s territory. It’s a bit different than Zoom, however. While Zoom has to dodge threats, Webex can take them head on. That’s because Webex has the power of (near) invincibility. Just don’t get too complicated with it, and it’ll be able to save the day.

In the world of superhero video chat programs, there are always new rising heroes and new challenges to face. That makes it even better to imagine an alternate reality where the programs we use for class are actually human superheroes.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .

FEBRUARY 25, 2021