BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

National Weather Service issues storm advisory for East Bay

SAM ALBILLO | FILE

A press release from the city of Berkeley encourages the public to stay alert and to report any issues related to the wind advisory, flash flood watch and heavy rain forecast in the East Bay, including calling 911 for downed power lines and calling 311 to report clogged drains or fallen trees. For further safety measures, the public is recommended to sign up for PG&E outage alerts and to unplug or turn off all electrical appliances during an outage.

|

City News Editor

JANUARY 26, 2021

Update 1/26/2021: This article has been updated to include additional information from the PG&E online outage map.

The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory, flash flood watch and heavy rain forecast for the East Bay on Tuesday evening.

The wind advisory for the East Bay is expected to last from 7 p.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday while the flash flood watch for the East Bay Hills is expected to last until Thursday, according to a city of Berkeley press release. Heavy rain is also forecast throughout the Bay Area, with the heaviest rainfall to be expected Tuesday evening.

As of press time, about 2,264 residents in the South Berkeley area are experiencing power outages caused by the weather, according to the PG&E online power outage map.

The press release encourages the public to stay alert and to report any issues that may arise, including calling 911 for downed power lines and calling 311 to report clogged drains or fallen trees.

With the conditions of an “atmospheric river,” residents are also urged to use extra caution on roads, according to the press release.

Power lines may be damaged by the storm and cause power outages, the press release added. The public is recommended to sign up for PG&E outage alerts and to use the PG&E online outage map. The press release also recommends unplugging or turning off all electrical appliances during an outage, in addition to turning appliances back on one at a time when conditions are normal.

In preparing for future storms, the press release also advises protecting living conditions from possible flooding.

“This week’s weather event is not the end of rainy season. Other significant storms may lie ahead,” the press release states.

The press release noted that the city’s public works staff will be on call and working through affected areas daily.

Thao Nguyen is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @tnguyen_dc.

JANUARY 27, 2021