BERKELEY'S NEWS • JUNE 02, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian!

City of Berkeley to permit additional outdoor activities

AUDREY MCNAMARA | FILE

AUGUST 21, 2020

Berkeley health officer Dr. Lisa Hernandez issued a health order Friday that permits certain outdoor activities with restrictions and will go into effect Aug. 28, according to a city of Berkeley press release.

The order allows for outdoor personal care services, the use of outdoor pools, small outdoor practices for school and college sports, live entertainment at vehicle-based gatherings and outdoor wine tastings, according to the press release.

The COVID-19 safety measures required by the city of Berkeley during these activities include increasing sanitation, limiting the number of people present, using appointments, screening verbally for symptoms and using protective equipment such as face masks, according to the press release.

The press release added that the personal care services that will be permitted include haircuts, manicures, waxing and massages. Any services that require close contact with the customer’s face or a face mask to be removed, however, are prohibited.

Live performances at vehicle-based gatherings cannot have more than 12 people, and performers must stay at least 8 feet from others.

According to the press release, the earliest opening date for city of Berkeley pools is Sept. 14.

Check back for updates.

Maya Akkaraju is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @maya_akkaraju.

AUGUST 21, 2020