BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 19, 2023

Explore all around the world: Virtual museum tours

WIKIMEDIA | CREATIVE COMMONS

JUNE 10, 2020

A lot of us are still bummed about the collapse of our summer plans. I know I was supposed to be on a plane to a tropical place far, far away in a few days.  Instead, I’m currently in my bed in sweatpants. While residing at home, incredibly bored, I started to look into different places I could go when quarantine is over and when I can finally hop on a plane.

I found a museum that advertised that it was now offering virtual tours. As an avid museum-goer, I have been missing the feeling of walking through rooms filled with art. Hoping to fulfill the urge I have to explore a new museum and travel, I looked into this new phenomenon of virtual museum tours and collected a list of ones that I wish I could visit in person right now. What better way than exploring the digital world of art? Here are some of my suggestions below.

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City is known for its architecture designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. This virtual museum tour allows you to wander through its famous halls for hours, as well as interact with postmodern art along the way. It is definitely an aesthetic I’d want for my house, and I highly recommend making your way down the well-known swiveling walkway. 

São Paulo Museum of Art

Located in São Paulo, Brazil, the São Paulo Museum of Art offers visitors the ability to experience Brazilian, African and Asian art pieces hung on display like they’re floating from midair! Taking this virtual tour has only made me want to visit Brazil even more. I’m dreaming of seeing the innovation and beauty of this museum in person. It might have made a trip to South America jump up a few spots on my travel wish list, and if you take the virtual tour on its website, you will surely see why. 

The Courtauld Institute of Art 

The Courtauld Institute of Art in London, England was already long closed down for refurbishment before the spread COVID-19. So, it was offering a virtual museum experience before it was even popular. Site visitors have the ability to see famous works from the talented Vincent van Gogh, and many other impressionist artists. This tour had me wanting to check for some watercolor paint supplies the next time I go to the store. Maybe this tour will give you the inspiration needed to hop on the quarantine painting trend. 

The National Gallery of Victory 

The National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia displays some of the most popular and noteworthy contemporary art right now. “Keith Haring | Jean-Michel Basquiat: Crossing Lines” and Kaws: Companionship in the Age of Loneliness” are two must-see exhibits that are accessible from the comfort of your bedroom. For everyone repping Haring or Kaws on their clothing, you won’t be disappointed by their actual art installations. It will take your ideas of contemporary art to a new level. 

Some of the options on this list, I had actually never heard of until my last art-filled Google search. Before the pandemic, I might not have been able to ever see some of these art pieces or have the time to learn about the culture tied to these different museums. So, take advantage of this silver lining and enjoy the accessibility of experiencing highly esteemed art from all over the world from the comfort of your own home.

Contact Marissa Boling at [email protected].

JUNE 10, 2020