I must have written at least three articles about nourish bowls at this point, but that’s because I believe they are THE most efficient way of getting in all your macro and micronutrients in a single meal! While nourish bowls are endlessly customizable, abiding by the following guidelines is your best bet for creating consistently delicious bowls:
- Choose at least two raw veggies to serve as the base of your bowl. This can be in the form of zucchini noodles, a spring lettuce mix, fresh sprouts or shredded carrots and cabbage! Focusing on raw veggies will allow you to fill your plate to abundance without worrying about the aftereffects of eating a heavy and dense meal.
- Choose a healthy protein! Whether this is grilled chicken, chickpeas, tofu or hard-boiled eggs, make sure you’re getting those muscle-building amino acids in!
- Include complex carbohydrates like sweet potatoes, quinoa, butternut squash or brown rice.
- Add some healthy fats, like avocado, nuts, olives and hemp seeds, to stay satiated.
- Choose a delicious sauce like coconut aminos, hummus, pesto, tahini or a simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing to help you tie all the flavors together!
With these guidelines in mind, let’s head to our delicious, Asian-inspired nourish bowl recipe.
A block of Trader Joe’s baked tofu
2 cups fresh spring lettuce mix
1/2 cup fresh sprouts
1/2 cup frozen edamame (prepared in the microwave or boiled for five minutes)
3/4 cup canned chickpeas
1/2 of an avocado
3 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 tablespoon tahini
1 clove garlic (minced)
Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
Dice your tofu and set aside. To make the dressing, mix your coconut aminos, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix until fully combined. Place your mixed greens, sprouts, edamame, chickpeas and tofu in a large salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over everything and toss until combined, then dig in and enjoy!