BERKELEY'S NEWS • MARCH 26, 2023

Welcome to the (March) Madness! Read more here

Cal baseball's Darren Baker plays new position in Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star Game

IRELAND WAGNER | STAFF

JULY 29, 2019

Since beginning his collegiate career two years ago, Darren Baker has firmly held down the responsibility of second baseman for Cal baseball. It’s all he’s ever known. But at the Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star Game, Baker, for a couple innings, was put in a position to expand his horizons.

In addition to recording an infield single in his lone at-bat for the West Division All-Star team, Baker spent three innings patrolling center field before being subbed out. Unfortunately for the curious, Baker did not have the chance to record a putout in those three innings.

Baker has exclusively played second base for the Wareham Gatemen, but he is listed as both a second baseman and outfielder on the team’s website.

In 30 games for Wareham, Baker has a team-leading .342 batting average with 12 steals. Baker’s .384 on-base percentage ranks second on the team as well.

Baker is coming off a sophomore campaign in which he totaled career highs in batting average (.306), on-base percentage (.367), slugging percentage (.335), hits (61) and steals (21) and was named to the Pac-12 All-Defensive team.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.

JULY 29, 2019