So, you’ve just been accepted to UC Berkeley. Congratulations! College is a wonderful time of self-discovery, an opportunity to explore new interests and meet a diverse group of amazing colleagues.
In honor of the journey you are about to embark on, the Clog has compiled a helpful list of items to pack for your life in the dorms. Many other sites also have college packing lists, but we find that a large number of the items are fairly unnecessary in the long term. So, enjoy this list compiled by college students who have been there, done that.
- Fitted bed sheets (Get twin XL — the dorm beds are not meant for regular twin sheets!)
- Pillow cases and pillows
- Comforter (Again, twin XL, otherwise you’ll probably drown in your comforter and never make your bed again, ever)
- Laundry basket and money for laundry, either in quarters or through your Cal1Card (honestly, having cash on hand is just generally useful for some of the restaurants close to the dorms!)
- Tide Pods (these are hands down the most convenient to use for laundry)
- Paper towels (one of those things you don’t know you need until you really need them)
- Microwave and fridge unit — rent one from the dorms! It comes in handy. Don’t try to sneak in your own because they’ll catch you during dorm inspections!
- Desk lamp
- Desk decorations, books, plants and pictures
- School supplies (don’t forget tape, scissors, stapler, staples, etc!)
- Extension cord
- Mirror (they don’t have full length mirrors in the dorms, so if this is important to you, you can get a cheap one from Walmart!)
- Plastic drawers
- Collapsible shoe rack (can hang from your closet and eliminate shoes strewn across the floor)
- Assorted plastic bins (you can put food, cleaning supplies, makeup, etc. in these)
- Shower caddy (these are actually convenient for showering and storage)
- Shower shoes (flip-flops should suffice) — no, seriously… shower shoes are a necessity!
- Shower stuff: Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, loofah, razor, face towel, body towel, toothpaste, toothbrush and anything else you need!
- Water bottle, coffee or travel mug (Berkeley charges a 25 cent fee for cups, so save yourself a quarter by using a reusable mug!)
- Cards, Frisbee or board games (You’re in the dorms! You never know what’s going to happen. These are great ways to pass the time when you do have the free time.)
- Medicine (Advil or Tylenol, Neosporin, allergy medicine, antacid, vitamins, Band-Aids, etc.)
- Umbrella — don’t get too attached to it! You’ll probably end up losing it.
- Beauty and self-care supplies (Nail clippers, tweezers, cotton balls, lotion, hairbrush, hair gel, oil diffuser, face masks, flat iron or curling iron, nail polish and remover, hair spray, etc.)
Hopefully some of these tips have you thinking about your own future dorm! Congratulations again, and from all of us here at the Clog, welcome to UC Berkeley!