BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 06, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

CalSERVE announces UC Berkeley junior Maureen Simmons as candidate for ASUC executive vice president

AMANDA RAMIREZ | SENIOR STAFF

MARCH 17, 2019

CalSERVE announced UC Berkeley junior Maureen Simmons as its executive vice president candidate Sunday evening for the 2019 ASUC elections, adding onto its three-person executive slate.

Simmons transferred to UC Berkeley in fall 2018 as a first-generation, continuing and commuter student studying political science. Before coming to UC Berkeley, she worked in senior human resources management at Walgreens and Northwestern University for 20 years. She eventually left “corporate America” to earn her bachelors degree at UC Berkeley with hopes to attend law school.

Simmons said she was inspired to go back to school after participating in activism to improve Chicago leadership after Laquan McDonald, a Black 17-year-old, was killed by police across the street from where she worked.

Simmons currently serves dual roles in the ASUC as both director of police reform and internal chair of the ASUC Police Oversight Commission. She also serves as a campus adviser for the newly reactivated campus NAACP chapter.

“I believe CalSERVE represents my mission of giving voices to the voiceless,” said Simmons. “That’s my entire goal — to serve the underrepresented in every single way that I can.”

If elected, Simmons said she would advocate for students of color, improve ASUC structure and visibility and effectively manage the allocation of campus spaces.

Campus senior Dominick Williams works alongside Simmons in the campus Black Student Union and Afrikan Black Coalition, as well as in the ASUC. Williams said that in his experience, he has often seen students “distrust” the ASUC when they don’t know how to ask for assistance.

“Maureen is someone that can actually navigate the bylaws and the jargon … and communicate that to underrepresented community members to allow them to be more effective,” said Williams.

Voting for the ASUC elections will be held April 8, 9 and 10.

Contact Rachel Barber at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @rachelbarber_.

MARCH 17, 2019