BERKELEY'S NEWS • MARCH 31, 2023

Welcome to the (March) Madness! Read more here

Suspect in assault on UC Berkeley campus pleads not guilty

UCPD | COURTESY

MARCH 06, 2019

Zachary Greenberg, the suspect in the Feb. 19 attack on the UC Berkeley campus, pleaded not guilty to three felony counts and one misdemeanor count Wednesday.

The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Greenberg on Tuesday with assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, criminal threats and battery with serious bodily injury. Greenberg was also charged with one misdemeanor count for causing less than $400 in damage.

About 3:29 p.m. Feb. 19, the victim, Hayden Williams, was tabling for the conservative group Turning Point USA on Upper Sproul Plaza when two males approached the table. A verbal altercation ensued, and Williams began filming the interaction with his phone. The video was later posted on Twitter.

The suspect, Greenberg, proceeded to slap the phone out of Williams’ hand and knock over the table. During the ensuing struggle, Greenberg punched Williams several times, causing injury to his eye and nose. He left the area before authorities could arrive, resulting in a 10-day search leading up to his arrest Friday.

Greenberg is scheduled to return to court Apr. 9 for a pretrial hearing. He is currently free on bail.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said in an email that the campus appreciates the effective work of authorities after the assault.

“We continue to believe, as the Chancellor stated, that there should be serious consequences when laws are violated … particularly when it comes to violence and Free Speech,” Mogulof said in an email. “There is no better way of deterring those who would come to our campus and engage in reprehensible, unlawful behavior.”

Contact Amber Tang and Alexandra Casey at [email protected].

MARCH 06, 2019