BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 21, 2023

Berkeley street robberies, theft among cases of community interest

DANIEL KIM | FILE

JANUARY 29, 2019

Berkeley Police Department is investigating  several robberies and a theft, in addition to reports stolen of cellphones and laptops, according to a Nixle alert released by BPD on Tuesday afternoon.

On Wednesday afternoon, a suspect robbed a man of his wallet on the 2300 block of Fulton Street, the alert said. The suspect approached the victim, engaging him in conversation before pushing his hand “out through his jacket pocket as if he had a weapon” and demanding his property, the alert said. The suspect was described as a slim Black male in his mid-20s and was last seen in a dark jacket and baseball cap.

In an unrelated incident Friday night, a woman walking down the 1100 block of Hearst Avenue at 8:14 p.m. was stopped by a male suspect, who demanded her property at gunpoint. According to the alert, the suspect let the victim leave after she pleaded with him. Based on the suspect description given by the victim, BPD officers arrested 32-year-old Jamelle Malik Flippin on suspicion of robbery and other theft-related charges.

In a separate incident Saturday evening, three men sitting by the M Dock at the Berkeley Marina were robbed of their bags and wallets, the alert said. Two suspects with dogs approached the men and pulled out a handgun, demanding the victims’ property before running to a nearby vehicle and driving off. The suspects were described as 25- to 30-year-old Hispanic men — one wearing a black sweatshirt and one wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.

In another incident Monday evening, a woman was sitting at a table outside of Sweetgreen on Shattuck Avenue when her backpack was stolen about 7:30 p.m. A male suspect walked over to her table and grabbed the backpack before fleeing. The suspect was described by witnesses as a 6 feet tall, slim Black man dressed in dark clothing.

Check back for updates.

Corrections: A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the crime that occurred Jan. 28 as a robbery. In fact, it was a grand theft.
Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.

JANUARY 31, 2019