BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 21, 2023

Editor's note: A primary state of mind

JUNE 06, 2018

On Tuesday, California voters picked two candidates to face off in the race for governor: Democrat Gavin Newsom and Republican John Cox. Meanwhile, in the race for the U.S. Senate seat, incumbent Dianne Feinstein surprised no one by beating out her opponents for a first-place finish. And Alameda County elections brought victories across the board for incumbents and newcomers alike.

But that’s not all — California residents also voted to protect natural resources through Proposition 68, and they approved a later start date for future ballot measures via Proposition 71. Even rain got its moment in the spotlight, despite the summer heat, as Proposition 72 will exempt rain-capture systems from property taxes.

So what now? You’ve turned in your ballot, and you’ve watched the election results keep ticking in until the early hours of the morning — does that mean it’s all over?

Not yet. It’ll be a long road to November’s midterm election — this is just the first stop.

Harini Shyamsundar is the editor in chief. Ketki Samel is the managing editor. Contact them at [email protected].

JUNE 06, 2018