BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Josh Prenot wins silver medal in 200-meter breaststroke

KEVIN CHEUNG | FILE

AUGUST 10, 2016

After putting up the world’s fastest time in the 200-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic Trials, Josh Prenot put the world on notice. He immediately proved himself as a medal contender alongside fellow American Kevin Cordes.

Prenot, a first-time Olympian, made the most of his only race at the Olympic Games. During prelims, Prenot qualified for semifinals in 10th place and finished third to earn a lane in finals. By conserving energy early in the process, Prenot managed to steadily improve his time.

Although Prenot’s time, 2:07.53, is a couple tenths off his best time, Prenot used his strengths and wit to put together an incredible race. In just the first 50 meters alone, Prenot went from last place to fourth.

From there, Prenot followed his typical strategy and continued to accelerate. His foundation in 200-meter and 400-meter swimming events left Prenot with the endurance to surge past most of the field. His strong back-half of the race helped Prenot blast past the pack and close quickly on the leader.

Ultimately, Prenot finished second, .07 seconds behind Kazakhstan’s Dmitriy Balandin, who is Kazakhstan’s first Olympic swimming medalist in history.

Contact Chris Zheng at [email protected].

AUGUST 10, 2016