BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 21, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Coroner's Bureau identifies man who died in West Berkeley double shooting

DECEMBER 30, 2014

Update 12/31/14: This article has been updated to reflect new information from BPD. 

The man who died in a double shooting at San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley on Monday night has been identified as 36-year-old Kamahl Middleton.

According to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau, Middleton, who was from El Sobrante, died of multiple shotgun pellet wounds to his shoulder and chest.

At about 9:45 p.m. Monday police were notified of a shooting near 1941 San Pablo Ave, according to the Berkeley Police Department.  Middleton was pronounced dead on the scene and a 28-year-old woman, the second shooting victim, was transported to Highland Hospital in Oakland. As of Wednesday afternoon, she was in stable condition.

As of about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, northbound San Pablo Avenue was closed off between University and Hearst avenues, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats. No arrests had been made.

The shooting follows three homicides in Berkeley this year. In October, Damarco J. Thomas died after being shot in West Berkeley. Nancy McClellan died the same month after being stabbed in an attempted carjacking, and in February, Sylvan Fuselier was found dead near the intersection of San Pablo and University avenues.

In a Wednesday press release, BPD urged anyone with information about the shooting to call its Homicide Detail at 510-981-5741 or, if they wish to remain anonymous, Bay Area Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Melissa Wen is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.

DECEMBER 31, 2014