BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 06, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Things you didn't know you needed for your dorm room and where to get them

SEPTEMBER 02, 2014

Your first year of college comes with a few unique situations. There are the cramped dorm rooms, communal bathrooms and a flurry of new experiences. But don’t worry, freshies, we’ve all been there. And because we’ve been there, we know what you really need to survive in a college dorm room. So we decided to draw up a short shopping list for you from local stores that may help make your freshman year a little bit easier … at least when it comes to housing.

1. Air fresheners (Walgreens, three for $3.00)

Kristen McFadden/Staff
Kristen McFadden/Staff

Do your roommates (and probably your entire floor) a favor and invest in some of these bad boys. Trust us, when midterms and finals roll around, you’ll appreciate that sweet smell of warm vanilla or ocean breeze amid the piles of dirty laundry.

2. Collapsible bowls (Daiso, $1.50)

Kristen McFadden/Staff
Kristen McFadden/Staff

Not only are these super nifty and space-efficient, they’re also extremely affordable! Buy a few of these and throw them in your drawers to help make your late-night cereal or ice cream snacking sessions a lot less messy.

3. Water weights (Daiso, $2.00)

Kristen McFadden/Staff
Kristen McFadden/Staff

These things can double as a water bottle and a weight for working out! We think they’re great because they’re easier to travel with and can also serve as an incentive to keep in shape during this crazy transitional phase of life. (Don’t waste too much water on these, though. We are in a drought.)

4. Lap desk (Staples, $20.00-$40.00)

Kristen McFadden/Staff
Kristen McFadden/Staff

These will change your life if you study on a bed or couch and will help save your laptop’s life. There are a variety of styles, and the prices at our Staples store are a bit on the high side but totally worth it. Your lap desk will also last well past your freshman year and will continue to be a huge help in your study life.

5. Academic year planner ($5.99)

Kristen McFadden/Staff
Kristen McFadden/Staff

Welcome a little organization into your crazy life with this cute, little 10-month planner from the Cal Student Store! At a cheaper price than most of the surrounding stores, it’s well worth the price — especially since you get to show off your Cal pride.

Image Sources: Featured Image

Contact Kristin McFadden at [email protected].

SEPTEMBER 03, 2014