Semesterlong paper assignment deadlines are rapidly approaching. If you find yourself working on a paper that you’re supposed to have been doing all semester in just a number of days or even hours, don’t worry! The Clog offers some tips on word choice to make your paper appear polished.
1. Replace “find” with “discover.”
The squirrels at Berkeley discovered that UC Berkeley students eagerly will feed them.
2. Replace “unimportant” with “menial.”
Obviously, your problem set due tomorrow is menial compared to Taco Tuesday.
3. Replace “prove” with “manifest.”
Years with of evidence manifests that Cal is better than Stanford.
4. Replace “different” with “divergent.“
The assigned readings illustrate divergent perspectives from the norm.
5. Replace “temporary” with “transient.”
The feeling of disappointment after missing the 51B is transient.
6. Replace “outstanding” with “exemplary.”
UC Berkeley’s Nobel-Prize-winning professors are exemplary in their fields.
7. Replace “harmful” with “deleterious.”
The “deleterious” effects of smoking led to a ban of smoking on campus.
8. Replace “said” with “expressed.”
The student expressed her happiness when she successfully completed Tele-BEARS.
Good luck on those papers!
Image Source: Featured Image