Cal Day is the perfect opportunity for everyone — former, current and future students and community members — to learn more about our amazing university. There are hundreds of events happening on Cal Day, but the Daily Clog has narrowed down that list to 15 events you won’t want to miss:
1. Cable car rides: The cable car loop runs in 30-minute intervals from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
2. Sather Gate: Information tables with fliers about almost every major offered.
3. Free yoga classes: From 10 to 10:45 a.m. and 11 to 11:45 a.m. at the historic Hearst Gymnasium.
4. Lecture with Nobel Laureate professors: Daniel McFadden (economics), Saul Perlmutter (physics), Randy Schekman (physiology, medicine) and George Smoot (physics) will speak. The event is from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in Wheeler Hall. Tickets are needed for this event and can be picked up on a first-come, first-served basis from 2 to 3 p.m. at Wheeler Auditorium’s box office.
5. “Science of Happiness” presentation: 11 a.m. to noon in 101 Morgan Hall.
6. Free concert on Memorial Glade from 4 to 6 p.m., featuring Real Estate and Grizfolk.
7. NCAA sporting events: Cheer on the Bears’ teams competing at home, including track and field (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Edwards Stadium), men’s tennis (1 to 4 p.m. at the Hellman Tennis Complex) and women’s softball (1 to 4 p.m. at the Levine-Fricke field).
8. Tour of campus tree trail: Learn more about our campus trees on a guided tour from the Cal Forestry Club. Tours leave from Mulford Hall and are from noon to 1 p.m. and 2 to 3 p.m.
9. “Why Are There Stars?“: A presentation with associate research astronomer Steven Stahler from 10 to 11:15 a.m. in 2 LeConte Hall.
10. Festival of Cultures: 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at International House. There will be food, performances and crafts from countries all around the world!
11. Social media privacy lecture: Learn how to protect your privacy with this lecture from noon to 1 p.m. in 306 Soda Hall.
12. Robot learning lab: Watch a robot that folds laundry, high-fives and hugs in action from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m on the third floor of Sutardja Dai Hall.
13. Sea creature presentation: Learn about ocean creatures and touch live seaweed at the Valley Life Sciences Building courtyard from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
14. Animal discovery room: Pet animals and view the “Xtreme BUGS” exhibit at Lawrence Hall of Science from 1:30 to 4 p.m.
15. Sport club meet and greet: Meet members and learn about the 33 sports clubs sponsored by Cal Rec Sports outside the Recreational Sports Facility from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.